Homemade Vanilla Extract
Brief description of recipe: quick and easy. Great to use to make ice cream (recipe to follow on another page), cookies, cakes, scones, custards, coffee/tea, crème brulee, vanilla balsamic chicken or salmon, glazes, whipped cream etc.… Side note: 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract is equal to one 2-inch piece of vanilla bean, so 1 typical large vanilla bean will equal 3 teaspoons extract (1 tablespoon)
Serves #: 8 ounces
- 5-6 large Stavoren Trading Co. Vanilla Beans (buy now)
- Vodka, rum or alcohol of choice
- Slice Stavoren Trading Co. Vanilla Beans vertically and place into an 8 ounce bottle
- Add alcohol to completely cover beans
- Shake 1-2 times a week, wait about 8 weeks for the alcohol to extract the vanilla. Store at room temperature out of direct sunlight and Enjoy!